Cats and Wolves
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Child Called "It"

2 posters

Go down

A Child Called "It" Empty A Child Called "It"

Post  Ashpaw Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:02 am

Has anyone read or heard about this book? I bought it and brought it to school. After our test, we were able to read a book. I grabbed the book and I started crying a little. I hid my face with the book so no one noticed. It's soooooo sad!

A Child Called "It" is a real life story about a boy who was brutally beaten and starved by his mentally disturbed and alcoholic mother. At first, David Pelzer lived a healthy and normal life with his parents and brothers. His mother, however, unexpectedly transformed into a monster, venting her anger on her helpless child. David was submerged in freezing cold water, forced to eat his own vomit, slept in the basement under the stairs, stabbed, and forced to sit on a burning stove. These are just a few of the torturous games that his mother used to play. She treated him not like her son, but like an "it". David suffered both mental and physical abuse. In order to survive from his mother's sick games, David used willpower. Through all of her torturous games, David's inner strength began to emerge.
This book is a perfect example of how the human spirit can provide strength in the toughest of situations. David's spirit helped him to survive through his mother's emotional and physical abuse. He refused to let his mother win. He had no one to help him so he learned how to fend for himself. His courage and determination saved him from all of the suffering that he endured at such a young age.

David is a living testament of resilience. His faith and personal responsibility helped him transform into an emotionally healthy and competent adult. A large percentage of emotionally and physically abused children become abusive in their adult years. The abusiveness could be a cycle, passed down from generation to generation. Their rage and pain of being abused could be turned on themselves or the ones they love. David, at a young age, showed strong signs of being a planner as well as a problem solver. These character traits, along with caring adults (nurses, teachers, social workers, etc.), help him to become resilient. David's inner strength helped him turn shame into pride and rejection into acceptance. A Child Called "It" sends an inspirational message of resilience and the human spirit. A person has the ability to leave their dark past and look forward to a better tomorrow. If David Pelter could do it than anyone can!
Ashpaw
Ashpaw

Back to top Go down

A Child Called "It" Empty Re: A Child Called "It"

Post  Skyfeather Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:04 am

I started reading that book..then i lost it xD Its really good though Very Happy

Skyfeather

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum